Mosaic tiles are decorative forms of art on floors that are created by assembling tiny pieces of glass, tiles or natural stones. The art produces an appealing image on floors and walls of any room. Majority of mosaics consist of tiny, flat, square and colored glass or stone pieces called tesserae. It is important to know the advantages and drawbacks of these tiles before using them in your living space. The pros and cons discussed in the section below will help you make informed decisions on mosaic tile flooring.
1. Mosaic tiles offer great visual flair and pop when used in any room. The luminous nature of mirrored glass can be combined with lighting to give an attractive and unique feature. These tiles are also available in many visually attractive designs like metallic shimmers and natural stones. Mosaic glass forms beautiful decorative imagery art that is very useful in interior design. You can use them on the kitchen, bathroom or bedroom floors. They instantly brighten up any interior.
2. Mosaic tiles are durable and easy to maintain. They are resistant to chemicals making them ideal for flooring the kitchen and bathroom. The glass tiles are also easy to clean since they do not have the usual nooks and crannies. They are merely wiped using a soft towel and mild detergent to remove any grease or stains. In case soap scum forms on the bathroom surface, sprinkling a solution of water and vinegar on it will leave it sparkling clean in just a few minutes. Mosaic glass tiles are also non-porous. It does not form mold or mild dew at all.
3. Another advantage of these tiles is that they are versatile and flexible in designs. They are available in a range of material categories, patterns and colors. The common types are made from natural stones including marble, quartz, slate and travertine. Combining various categories of mosaic tiles in flooring brings great depth and more dramatic flair in a space. Using travertine stones alongside crystal glass, for instance, gives a room an excellent center point. One may also choose to use natural stones to break monotony and create various patterns. Stone, ceramic, wood, or other surfaces can be used with glass to create contrasting textures and luminosities. The combination will create a jewel-like look that is appealing to the eye.
4. The mosaic glass tiles are environmentally sustainable. It uses less energy consumption to make a tile out of glass compared to other traditional tiles. Broken glass can also be recycled and reused. Replacing a shattered mosaic tile with a new one is also easy, thanks to their disintegrated sizes.
5. Mosaic flooring is cheaper to install than traditional flooring like marble. The use of mosaic will give you value for money since it is extremely decorative and long-lasting.
6. Lastly, the tiles are great for rooms that have limited space. In such instances, using a lot of color or details is not possible. Flooring with mosaic tiles often adds glam to such a room.
1. One of the drawbacks of mosaic tiles is that small size makes them fragile. You have to use them carefully to avoid breaking and cracking. Sharp objects will often scratch or crack the floor.
2. Mosaic tiles are translucent. It is possible to see the adhesives used and the wall behind. You have to ensure that the wall gets comparable paint color and a smooth adhesive application. This leaves no visible or uneven patches and air bubbles.
3. Mosaic tiles used on washroom surfaces like bathrooms will likely become wet and slippery. It is necessary to apply non-slip sealer on them to avoid accidents and injuries.
The kind of tiles one chooses for flooring their houses matters a lot. Mosaic tile floors produce a style that you will love and use for many years. The style is great and blends with various home themes.